The fumes of power-generator has killed two students of Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja, after inhaling fumes it from window of their apartment overnight.
Spokesperson for the State Police Command, SP William Ovye Aya, disclosed this speaking with newsmen on Thursday.
Aya stated that the deceased were identified as Bilikisu Eleojo, 20 years old, and Ibrahim Haliru.
He noted that the generating set was placed close to the window of the victims; they slept off and died before daybreak.
The lifeless bodies of the duo were reportedly recovered in the room by neighbours in the early hours of Thursday.
The spokesperson said, “There were three students from Kogi State Polytechnic inside the room. One Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo, 20 years old, Ibrahim Haliru, and Mercy Ojochegbe.
“When they slept inside their room, a generating set was switched on close to the window of their apartment.
“They all slept off and inhaled carbon monoxide as a result of the generating set that was switched on.
“Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo and Ibrahim Haliru were already dead when neighbours discovered the sad incident in the morning, while Mercy Ojochegbe, who was still breathing, was immediately rushed to the hospital.
“The incident was reported at the ‘B’ Division of the Nigeria Police Force Lokoja and investigation is ongoing.”
The PPRO enjoined the residents to always be safety conscious to avert carbon monoxide poisoning in their homes.
In December, a young man and his girlfriend also died after having reportedly inhaled fumes from a generating set locked inside their apartment overnight in Ugborikoko community, Uvwie Local Government Area of Delta State.
It was learnt that the man had just celebrated his girlfriend’s birthday party together with the lover at a nightclub.
It was also said that on leaving the party, the duo left the club and went to the lady’s shop, and put on the generator set inside before sleeping off, and they died before daybreak.